The Takee Cup

November 29th, 2010 § 18 comments

The Takee Cup was an ambulatory treat available decades ago on the boardwalk at Edgemere,a working class summer vacation neighborhood of Rockaway Beach,N.Y. The Takee Cup,oval in shape,was fashioned of fried chow mein noodles. It was filled with chow mein. A squirt of soy sauce. A dab of hot mustard. Plastic fork in hand you strolled the boardwalk and when finished with the interior you munched on the tasty,crispy noodle cup. I marveled at the aptness of the name—Takee. Redolent of the Orient (at least as interpreted by New Yorkers of a certain generation} and descriptive in terms of the snack’s mobility. Lately I learned the bitter truth. The snack was originally named The Tuckee Cup after its inventor,a Mr. Tuck Lee. A large sign proclaimed The Tuckee Cup. When the boardwalk shop closed for the winter, bad, bad boys changed the “T” in the sign to an “F.” An indecency was created. Every year the proprietor repainted “the sign. He got tired of it. Thus,”Takee” was born. By the way,it cost 15 cents and it was mighty tasty.

§ 18 Responses to The Takee Cup"

• Donald S. Hecht says:

Hey Gerald, I bet my wife that I was the only one alive who remembered the Takee Cup. I spent the summers of ’53 and ’54 in a rooming house which was one house off the boardwalk on Beach 38th Street. I also remember Jerry’s Kosher Knish’s (especially the blueberry) and Izzy Faber’s Skee-Ball. There was also the open-air theatre. Sweet times.

Donald

• […] be time to revive that great beach classic –The Takee Cup? HG wistfully recalled the tasty Takee Cup in a post a few months ago. Bring it back for the new cool […]

• LINDA WERNER says:

I was a young child in the 50s. I loved Takes Cup also – wonderful memories.?

• Gerry says:

So glad HG brought back happy memories of boardwalk delights. Rockaway is becming a cool place, a hangout for the Williamsburg hipsters. Maybe we’ll see some innovative riffs on the immortal Takee.

• roberta says:

I think the time is right to revive the takee cup in this age of fast food and food on the go.

Who can we get in touch with. I have been trying and the idea is exciting. RSVP

• Joyvr says:

Yes! I was looking for this website. In far rockaway in the summer we got these. 25 cents a cup full of rice and chow mein and eat the noodle cup! HEAVEN!!! PLEASE BRING THIS BACK…WE NEED IT! In Brooklyn we also had a Chow Chow cup.

• Joyce says:

YES! I was looking for this website!! In far rockaway in the summer we had this. 25 cents a cup full of rice and chow mein and eat the noodle cup! HEAVEN IN A NOODLE CUP! PLEASE BRING THIS BACK!! In Brooklyn we also had a Chow Chow cup!!! wonderful!!!!!!

• Bob Levine says:

In the 50’s and 60’s I loved going to the Far Rock boardwalk and having a Tuckee cup.

Everyone I tell, can;t believe this item existed.

My wife and I dated at Playland and went into Manhattan on the HH train which ended at Euclid Ave Booklyn for a transpire to the A train.

Later on, worked at Nathan’s Oceanside but their chow mein on a burger bun couldn’t compare to a real Tuckee cup.

• Alan David says:

I loved the Takee cup. I was friendly with the owners son in the mid sixties and used to hang around watching his mother and grandmother make them. I also worked the counter at Sam’s Knishes up the boardwalk a little way.
    I got fat from eating all the broken Knishes they would give me. What a fantastic place 35th street area boardwalk was! Lots of rock musicians to see, and of course the bikini clad girls everywhere. I started a long music career playing with the Lost Souls rock band in that era.

• Steve says:

I thought I was the only person who remembered the wonderful Takee cup. My grandfather owned a place nearby and when we visited him that would be our 1st stop.
    Nathans was nowhere near as good. Would travel back in an instant if Takee cup was brought back. Thanks for the memories

• Gerry says:

Nothing could compare to the mobile lushness of a Takee Cup.But, if you wanted gloppy chow mein, Nathan’s version had to suffice.

• Bob Levenstien says:

I grew up in Edgemere, (Beach 37th St.) and between Takee Cup, the Movie theater on the boardwalk, the best Italian ices ever and the ability to grab the gold ring on the merry-go-round and get a free ride, there was no better place to spend the summer.

• Phyllis Wight says:

Although I no longer live in New York, the memories I have of summers in Rockaway stand out among the best times of my life.
    We would rent a bungalow, usually in the 50s or 40s (spent the last 6 years on Beach 29th Street in the Embassy) around Easter and bring our belongings tied on to my father’s car each weekend until school was over. With great anticipation my sisters and I counted down the days until the end of school knowing that a great adventure, going from the steamy hot Manhattan streets to the wide-open sandy vistas that inhabit the Rockaway of my memories. Once there we lay in the sun becoming as brown as berries, played with friends new and returning, went on the boardwalk and ate Tuckee cups, Jerry’s knishes, pizza, you name it. We played ski-ball at 3 cents a game and collected hundreds of tickets-you couldn’t lose. I used my sizeable collection to “buy” my mother a set of dishes. I remember how happy I was.
    Rockaway was the stuff of my dreams. Carefree, sun-filled days. Walks to Far Rockaway, going to the Chinese restaurant that was up a flight of stairs, Dugan’s bakery, the Good Humor Man , the miniature golf course, Crazy Eddie singing “hound dog”, it was to me, paradise.

To this very day whenever I hear the word Rockaway, I am transported back to a simpler, golden time. I try to visit the site of my dreams when I travel back to New York. I have photos taken by the Beach 29th St. boardwalk signage, but alas, it is all gone, save for the Rockaway that I keep safely hidden in my soul.